Monday, August 26, 2013

Monday 8/26 First observation day

Today was my first observation day and I felt that it went decently well for my first time. I spent my plan period prepping for my lesson and I think the first run through was a little rough. I had thought that I would go through my presentation during the first 45 minutes before my first class went to lunch and then they would have the video on the homestead strike when they returned. I felt that I got very worried about the time and I rushed through my presentation. I did not hit as many talking points as I wanted to and when I tried to get the class involved it did not go as well as planned. Many of the kids did not seem very interested. I stumbled over some points and I ended up ending about 10-15 minutes too early. At lunch I talked to Mr. Carl about making some more points and slowing down. He gave me some ideas on talking points and discussion starters. It was really helpful to have that trial run before my observation and perfect my lesson. I have always felt that the more I do a lesson the better it goes which can be a disservice sometimes to the beginning periods of students.

My second class during my observation went much better. I slowed down the material a lot more, made many more talking points, did a much better job involving the class and at the end I felt that I covered the material much better. However, I did find that by the end students were a little fatigued. Todays schedule was a little off to me since I was teaching for 35-40 minutes and then Mr. Carl was taking the video. I felt that I needed to teach the whole time and that I did not have enough time to teach and have a meaningful activity, but I wanted to be teaching the entire time for my observation. In reflecting on it with Mr. Carl we both came to the conclusion that it was a little long and too much information. While I did get the kids involved in some discussion and asked questions, having to be an active and engaged listener for 40 minutes is tough for anyone. I definitely had decided that I could have split my presentation up into two different presentations with more activities or breaks in the information. I was a little discouraged but at this point I know it was my first real day teaching material and I will be reflecting in order to do better next time. I want to find ways to keep the students more engaged and less time for me just talking.

Thinking about it later, I also thought that I need to include more of an emphasis on historical scope and empathy. Explaining that there is more than one way at looking at a historical event or concept. I think this is an important skill that I need to put some more time in developing with the students. Overall, however, I felt that the first observation went well and I know where I stand and where I can improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment