Sunday, August 25, 2013

Grey Day Friday 8/23

I spent my Plan period on Friday putting together some materials for the first part of the class that I will be teaching on Monday. I spent the period putting together some materials for a Powerpoint on industrialization and the formation of labor unions. The hardest part for me is deciding what information I should be using, but referring to the standards helps to cut down on the decisions.

The first US History honors class seemed to like the activity regarding looking at pictures of industry in Evansville during the industrial revolution. Many of them became frustrated because there was not an easily identifiable right answer. It was interesting to see the students struggle, and Mr. Carl and I talked about how it is important that students sometimes struggle when trying to find the answer. So many students today have become used to the idea that they will just be given the right answer. I was also able to talk to the students about sending me an email with information about themselves in order to complete my seating chart with personal information about each student. I found in high school that teachers who took an interest in what I did outside of their classroom were always the best teachers I had.

Feel the History watched a few more documentaries and decided which topics they would use. The last class went through the same lesson plan as the first US History Honors class with the same results. The end of the day was the first pep assembly for the football game that evening. It was fun to see all of the students and teachers participate in the pep assembly. There was a lot of energy at the end of the day and I was glad to be a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment