Tuesday, August 27, 2013

8/27 Grey Day Willard Library

I started off the beginning of the day by being able to attend a My Big Campus training during my Plan period. Even though I had stuff that I was hoping to get done I did learn a lot about MBC and I know that I will be using it in the future. It was a great experience to get some free professional development with a tool I know millions of users are adapting in K-12.

After deciding that my lesson yesterday contained too much information I decided to cut it by about half. Mr. Carl reviewed some of the reading with the class and then I picked up at working conditions and the formation of unions. Even though I cut my content in half I still was able to teach for a good portion of time as the kids stayed interested and got involved in the discussions as well as the examples. I felt a lot better about the lesson.

The Willard library trip was a lot of fun. The students were able to get a feel for the archives section and begin to look up some information on their topics. The online newspaper database that is keyword searchable will make the research a lot easier. Many of the students had a lot of fun with the old yearbooks from years past, including myself. After this class, the next part of the semester will be focused on getting together research and items for the documentaries.

In planning for my immigration lesson on Friday I decided to add a lot of content and activities, but to make a time guide for when I give the lesson. I have enough material and activities to do with the students that I know I should not have to worry about being short, however I want to make sure there is enough there for the entire period. What is nice is that I know by watching the time that I can cut out certain items of the lesson on the fly if we do not have enough time and add more if we are running faster than expected. I am excited and a little nervous to take over the class on Friday, but I think my immigration lesson will be a great start.

No comments:

Post a Comment